Description: Sennheiser HD headphones have caught the attention of countless audiophiles from all around the world, and the Sennheiser HD 598 is no exception. This Sennheiser HD 598 review shows that Sennheiser DJ headphones definitely stands out when it comes to audio reproduction, performance and design.
Sennheiser is a German company that has become synonymous to superior quality headphones, and the company once again lives up to that reputation with the HD 598 headphones.
The HD 598 was initially part of three most expensive models added to Sennheiser’s HD lines when introduced. Along with the HD 558 and HD 518, this headphone was equipped with the company’s proprietary Eargonomic Acoustic Refinement technology which delivers the best in sonic clarity and accuracy.
But despite its impressive features, the Sennheiser HD 598 has a very affordable price tag. Many audiophiles will consider the 598 a steal given its low price and eye popping features. Let’s find out why by taking a look at the features that make this one of the best Sennheiser DJ headphones around.
Those of you who like more reading, please see below:
- It has a 10-feet long cable that is terminated with a 6.33mm audio plug. The cable is plug up into the left headphone, with a twist-and-lock mechanism that keeps it secure.
- Superior sound quality offering higher resolution compared to other Sennheiser models.
- The headphones are colored beige and have a circumaural design.
- Velour ear pads complement the leatherette headband for outstanding comfort, even during long hours of listening.
- The headphones make use of Sennheiser’s trademarked E.A.R. technology, which simply means that the sound is directly channeled into the ears of the listener.
- It also comes with a 3.5 mm adapter making it compatible with any portable media player.
- Very flat frequency response without any pre-emphasized bass or treble peaks
- It has an advanced Duofol Diaphragm technology that results to a pure sound reproduction. It also a far cry from the thin film that dynamic headphones make use of.
More on Sound Quality
I thought the superior sound quality commonly attributed to this headphone would deserve a whole separate section and some more elaboration of my part.
I cannot emphasize enough the level of accuracy and quality of the sound coming out of this headphone. HD 598 is great not only for music but also movies and gaming.
No matter what you throw at this headphone, it can handle it with a minimum level of distortion. As said before and in terms of spec, the frequency response of this headphone is remarkably flat.
If you are into acoustic recordings, this headphone is for you. It sometimes would give you the feel of having your favorite performer playing live in front of you.
HD 598 wide-open sound stage and sound accuracy performance are unbelievable. The sound precision give this headphone a huge advantage for competitive gaming.
In games such as Battlefield, you it would be incredibly powerful to know where the sound is coming from and who is coming to get you. Without a high performing headphone such as this one, you won’t have such an edge in intensive gaming.
What that surprised me even more, is that often time, you notice a lack of bass with this type of wide-open stage but that’s not the case with this headphone. The bass is definitely present offering a great balanced sound you can ever get by reconciling opposing performance metrics. I know I am sounding over-excited but those who know about this stuff, would agree that Sennheiser has done a great job when designing this one to achieve the best sweet-spot in terms of various tradeoffs and opposing specifications.
One important thing I wanted to note here is that this headphone can also be used with an amp if you choose to do so. If your budget allows and by buying an amp, you can take the performance of this headphone to a newer level. With that being said, this is not a must and HD 598 sounds already with great an mp3 player, iPhone, iPod or whatever smart device you are intending to use it with.
This headphone is great for most music genres. The only reservation I would have is the music genres such as Electronics or alike. You may find that HD 598 tend to be a bit on the slower side with this genre and not at the level of best DJ headphones out there.
Sennheiser HD 598 Pros
Many satisfied users of the 598 point out to the numerous advantages of this product, such as:
- Extremely comfortable because of nice and very soft padding . Light weight: since the headphones weigh a mere 9.6 ounces, wearing it for long hours won’t be a problem. Contributing to the comfortable design of the headphone is its plastic construction.
- The padded headband likewise gets rid off the pressure you usually feel on top of the head after hours of using the headphone. Likewise, the ear pads put minimal stress to the sides of the head.
- The headphones also fit securely. You can nod your head multiple times and even engage in a head banging session, but the headphones will stay put.
- In terms of looks, the HD 598 gets a lot of raves because of its colors. Its combination of tan and beige is a nice departure from the traditional gray and black finishes that most headphones come in. The design is just superior offering various details making this headphone aesthetically very appealing.
- Of course, count on the 598 to deliver superior quality sound regardless of the type of music you are into. Sounds coming from the headphones have rich and deep bass notes, and songs are reproduced with much clarity and fidelity.
- Adjustable with a huge range to accommodate varying head sizes, from kids to adults.
Sennheiser 598 Cons
There are some drawbacks with the HD 598 too and these are:
- The cable is a bit too long making it inconvenient when you bring the headphone with you when you go to work or to school. But it is also a bit short for use in bigger bedrooms or lounge. Fortunately, the cable’s fully removable feature addresses this issue.
- The openback set design of the 598 means that the sound will leak significantly. Thus the people around you will be able to hear whatever you are listening. This makes the 598 a poor choice for those who like to take their music to the streets.
- The headphones are not able to block out fully the noise from the outside world. So the chances are high that you will be able to hear nearby people talking, or the honks of cars passing through.
- The lack of a storage case may turn off potential buyers. Although the headphone is not designed for use outdoors, it could have been a lot better had Sennheiser provided a storage case for this one.
After few years since it first hit the market, the Sennheiser 598 remains popular and highly-rated on various online retailer sites. I have already read hundreds of reviews online with the vast majority being 5 star and then some 4 start ratings.
Many of the positive reviews revolved around the amazing sound reproduction that the headphone makes. Most satisfied users on say that the headphones produce clear sounds, with bass that is warm and deep at any volume level.
Satisfied users also point to the comfort that the headphones bring. They point out that the padding of the headband is soft and comfortable to the touch. Most of them share that they didn’t feel any pressure being exerted to their ears, as well as to the top of their heads. This makes the 598 ideal for hours of listening.
I consider myself very picky and critical when it comes to the headphone’s comfort. This is one of the most comfortable headphones I have used over years. No hot spot after hours thanks to the high end padding desing on top of your head as well as around your ears.
Although audiophiles don’t consider the design of a headphone as a basis for buying, the 598 gets a lot of positive feedback because of its excellent design. According to Sennheiser, the design of the 598 was inspired by European sports car. People who have grown tired of the usual black and grey color schemes of headphones should give the 598 a try.
However many Amazon customers also complain about the long adapter of the headphone. They argue that the long adapter puts a lot of pressure on their portable media players and smartphones.
Any Sennheiser HD 598 review will mention the affordable price of this product
Sennheiser have built a solid reputation for producing superb performance and affordable headphones, and the 598 is just like that—affordable but high quality. If you are looking to buy a good headphone without spending a fortune for it, you may want to have the Sennheiser HD 598 on top of your list.