Description: The Sennheiser MM 550-X headphone is one of the premium Sennheiser noise canceling headphones on the market. This Sennheiser MM 550-X review reveals the features of this headphone.
Headphones have become such a big hit not just among audiophiles but also among casual listeners. Proof is the rather exorbitant prices of headphones, with numerous models selling for more than $500. One of these headphones with an eye-popping price tag is the Sennheiser MM 550X. But instead of looking only at the price, potential buyers should also consider the numerous features that this headphone offers.
Sennheiser MM 550-X Features
The MM 550-X has numerous features such as:
- NoiseGard technology from Sennheiser, which is what the company calls its noise cancellation technology. With this feature, the device is able to limit the background noise and thus enable users to better enjoy their music.
- It is also equipped with the company’s TalkThrough feature that activates an external microphone. This feature allows the user to talk to a nearby passenger or to a flight attendant without having to remove the headphone.
Price: $399.95Price Disclaimer
- Bluetooth connectivity, which allows the headphone to connect wirelessly to any Bluetooth-capable device like iPhone or Android smart phones and tablets.
- The MM 550-X has an invisible microphone that is activated during phone calls, resulting to crystal clear conversations.
- It has a direct cable option that can be used on airplanes.
- It is equipped with Sennheiser’s SRS WOW HD technology, guaranteeing great sound with clear and strong base.
- For the ultimate in comfort and convenience, these headphones come with large and comfy ear cups .
- It comes with numerous accessories like rechargeable battery, USB charging cable, power plug with different adapters, stereo audio cable for wired mode, ¼ inch headphone adapter, and a rugged cloth carrying case.
Sennheiser MM 550-X Pros and Cons
Sennheiser has maintained its good name in the audio industry thanks to products like the MM 550-X. The headphone controls are extremely easy to use. The controls are located on the right earpiece, with an oversized control pad featuring the volume control, playback and track skip/back options. On the bottom edge are the Bluetooth and NoiseGard buttons. The left earpiece meanwhile has the Sennheiser logo and a micro USB charger port.
For most audiophiles, the design of their headphone is the least of their concerns. But having a lightweight headphone also usually translates to comfortable wear especially for long listening sessions, gameplay and flights. The ear pads have a soft leather cushion. The headband won’t exert a lot of pressure on the head but still has enough support to keep the headset in place even while the user is walking or running.
Of course, the most important aspect is still the audio quality produced by the headphone. In this aspect, the MM 550 –X gets high marks. This is partly due to the active noise cancellation system of the headphone, which is activated by pressing and holding the NoiseGard button for a couple of seconds. With the noise cancellation function turned on, the headphone can mute background noise like nearby people talking, or the sound of cars honking.
The other impressive audio function of the MM 550-X is the SRS WOW HD button. Engaging this system would boost the bass a bit further and create a 3-D like sound effect.
Even when the headphone is used wirelessly, the sound quality remains impeccable thanks to its apt-X audio encoding. According to Sennheiser, the technology allows its headphones to deliver the best audio quality wirelessly, one that is very similar to the sound quality of a wired connection.
But there are also some drawbacks to using this headphone. One is that the battery life will suffer when the headphone’s two major functions—NoiseGard and Bluetooth—are turned on. The battery life would decrease to eight hours of continuous listening. Comparatively, the wired mode without noise cancellation would allow the headphone to last for 20 hours.
The other downside is the price. With a price tag of more than $500, many audiophiles will be having second thoughts in buying this headphone even if it packs a lot of features.
Sennheiser MM 550-X Consumer Reviews
For the most part, the MM 550-X has positive reviews. Most of the reviewers on Amazon.com agree that despite the prohibitive price tag, the headphone produces superb audio. They also say that the noise reduction feature of the headphone further highlights the good sound that is produced by the MM 550-X.
However, some demanding audiophiles say that the noise cancellation system of the MM 550-X is not the best in the market. They say that other headphones like those produced by a Sennheiser competitor, Bose, are better in eliminating background noise. They also point out that there is a noticeable low-mid noise when the NoiseGard is activated.
There are also many Amazon.com reviewers who say that the TalkThrough feature of the headphone is one of its best selling points. They claim that with this feature, the headphone can replace the headphones of their smartphones.
But there are also gripes like the learning curve required for using the MM550-X, especially in using the controls. For instance, a long press on the central button will activate the Bluetooth, but this will only be possible if the headphone has been synced with another Bluetooth-capable media player. Some reviewers also complain that they were confused with the functionalities of the buttons.
Sennheiser MM 550-X Price
Amazon tends to have the lowest price. The website also has numerous users of the 550-X who share their experiences and reviews on the 550-X.
After all’s been said and done, we can safely conclude that the current price is very descent given that the Sennheiser MM 550-X has a lot of impressive features and if you can afford this headphone, it’s definitely a great buy.